Added to 131 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 41779 times
Here is an offbeat upma that will blow your boredom away. Not made of semolina, wheat or any of the standard ingredients, the Makai Upma is not even made of native corn (jowar). It is made of crushed sweet corn kernels cooked in milk and perked up with green chillies and lemon juice, along with a traditional tempering, and a garnish of aromatic coriander. This is one upma that is sure to be enjoyed by not just adults but kids too!
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida and green chillies, mix well and cook on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the corn, mix well and cook on a slow flame for about 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the milk and salt, mix well and cook a slow flame for another 5 minutes or till the liquid evaporates, while stirring continuously.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.