Kulcha, Plain Kulcha, Butter Kulcha
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 6 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 6693 times
A delicious Indian bread that is very popular in North India, and in Indian restaurants all over the world, the Kulcha has a unique texture and taste that make it a special treat for the palate.
It has a neutral taste, with the appetizing aroma and mild flavour of nigella seeds. This makes it a great accompaniment for all kinds of gravies and subzis, especially spicy and tangy ones.
If you follow these instructions for kneading and cooking the Kulchas, you will end up with a delightful treat that will earn you many compliments.
You can also try other recipes like the Punjabi Whole Wheat Kulcha and the Paneer Kulcha .
- Combine the yeast, sugar and 5 tbsp of lukewarm water in a bowl and mix well. Cover it with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the plain flour, yeast-sugar mixture, curds and salt and in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough, using enough water.
- Cover the dough with a lid or damp muslin cloth and keep aside in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Add the oil and knead very well.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal portions.
- Press a portion of the dough flat on a rolling board and roll into a 75 mm. (3”) diameter circle using a little plain flour for rolling, sprinkle ¼ tsp of nigella seeds evenly over it.
- Roll again out into a 125 mm. (5") diameter circle using a little plain flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and place a kulcha over it with the nigella seeds side facing downwards.
- Cook it on one side till it puffs slightly and then turn over.
- Cook it on the other side till it puffs a little and then roast it on an open flame till it turns golden brown from both the sides.
- Repeat the steps 6 to 10 to make 9 more kulchas.
- Brush each kulcha with a little butter and serve immediately.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||168.9 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.4 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||0 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.