Kerala Sambar, Kerala Sambhar with Coconut
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 5 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 5513 times
The Kerala Sambhar is a rich and flavourful version, which is made of toovar dal and mixed vegetables like brinjal, ladies finger and red pumpkin, laced with tamarind and flavoured with a spicy masala of coconut, onion, coriander seeds and other spices like pepper, fenugreek and cumin.
The flavour of coriander seeds is a bit stronger than that of other spices, and this makes the sambhar very aromatic and flavourful.
It is important to prepare the tempering fresh and pour it over the Sambhar at the end, after the cooking process is over. You must not temper at the beginning because that will change the taste.
Although we have used the ideal amount of red chillies, you can vary that to your preferred spice level. Enjoy the Kerala Sambhar with hot rice and ghee.
- Combine all the ingredients in a broad non-stick pan and sauté on a medium flame for 7 minutes.
- Cool and blend in a mixer along with ½ cup of water till smooth. Keep aside.
- Combine the toovar dal, turmeric powder, asafoetida and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Whisk the dal well using a whisk.
- Transfer the whisked dal into a deep non-stick pan, add all the vegetables, salt and 3 cups of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 20 to 22 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared sambar masala, tamarind pulp and ¾ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Heat the coconut oil in a small non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Pour this tempering on the prepared sambar and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||102.8 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.8 mg|
|Vitamin C||18.7 mg|
|Folic Acid||30.1 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.