Toovar Dal, Toovar Dal with Onions
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 13 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 18958 times
Just how easy can it be to prepare a lip-smacking dal? Well, we urge you to get into the kitchen and try this Toovar Dal with Onions to experience the magic for yourself! There is nothing about this recipe that makes you think twice.
The ingredients are so common, they are sure to be available at home. The procedure is exceptionally simple. And the best part is that the flavour beats even complex recipes hands-down. Homely and satiating, this Toovar Dal preparation is a must-try!
Serve with plain rice or jeera rice .
- Combine the toovar dal, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, salt and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Blend the dal along with a hand blender till smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining ¼ tsp of turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder, ginger-green chilli paste, cooked dal, sugar, lemon juice, coriander and little salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.