Benefits of Coconut Oil
benefits of coconut oil. Coconut oil since years was considered as a poison for our body, just for the reason that the saturated fats in it raised cholesterol levels and thus increased the chances of heart diseases. But recently, coconut oil is on everyone's lips as the research has highlighted the fact that most the saturated fats is MCT. An oil which never made presence in anyone's menu, today is picked up by one and all in every supermarket.
Research has revealed the presence of healthy fats called Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT) which are known to benefit our body. Medium chain triglycerides are triglycerides with 2 or 3 fatty acids of 6-12 carbon atoms i.e. medium chain fatty acids (MCFA's). The MCFA's of coconut oil that are of utmost benefits to us are:
1. Lauric Acid
2. Caprylic Acid
3. Capric Acid
These fats are easily digestible. They do not get metabolized through the process of digestion like most other fats. Instead they get processed directly in the liver and easily absorbed by the body. They give a feeling of satiety for long hours and are not readily stored as fat.
What Health Benefits Does Coconut Oil Offer?
11 Coconut Oil Good Health Uses
1. Maintains Heart Health : The MCT in Coconut oil reduces the LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) while increasing the count of HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol). In addition, they also benefit by lowering triglyceride levels in the body. Together all this works in favour of heart and maintaining normal blood pressure.
2. Keeps Infections Away : The lauric acid of coconut oil has been proven to have anti-bacterial benefits. It’s a great idea to replace carbs and sugars with coconut oil, which helps to deal with many types of virus, bacteria and fungi. Moreover coconut oil also reacts with enzymes in our body producing monolaurin, which too assists in killing pathogens.
3. Aids in Weight Loss : As mentioned earlier, MCT’s don’t get stored as fat. Instead they increase your energy expenditure and by delaying digestion they boost metabolism. Along with your exercise routine, try adding 1 tbsp of coconut oil to your diet and you will surely notice a reduced waist line.
4. Benefit Alzheimer’s Disease : The digestion of MCT’s leads to the production of ketones, which act as a source of energy for the brain cells and help repair brain function. These fatty acids in coconut oil are easily accessed by the brain without the use of insulin and so brain cells perform more efficiently. This may help improve memory.
5. Improves Digestion and Keeps Gut Healthy : You are already aware that coconut oil kills bad bacteria especially candida. These if left untreated in the body can cause imbalance in the stomach acids which can lead to poor digestion and inflammation.
6. Prevents Osteoporosis : Another favourable benefit of coconut oil is its ability to increase calcium absorption. Calcium is a mineral which is related to bone health and recognized by all to prevent osteoporosis.
7. Improves Diabetes : The MCT’s as said produce ketones, which help balance the insulin reactions in the body and thus aid in managing sugar levels better.
8. Reduces Stress : Since coconut oil is a good source of antioxidants, it helps our body ward off the harmful free radicals. Thus it serves as a natural treatment to reduce inflammation, pain and relieve your body of stress.
9. Protect Organ Function : Coconut oil may help clear bacteria by disrupting their lipid coating and killing them. Thus it prevents organs like kidney and liver from damage.
10. Build Muscle Mass : Coconut is found in many muscle building supplements as they are good for burning fats. You can easily add it to your muscle building shakes. Try adding at least 1 to 2 tbsp. of this oil daily to benefit from it.
11. Improve Thyroid Function : The capric acid and lauric acid in coconut oil both have been known to improve thyroid function as they travel to the liver without the need of any enzymes or hormones for digestion.
5 Coconut Oil Beauty Uses
1. Moisturizes Skin : Consuming a tbsp. of coconut oil daily or applying it directly to your skin – both are beneficial for your skin. It acts as a natural moisturizer while leaving a smooth touch. Check out the list of ingredients in moisturizers and skin lotions. You will often find coconut oil a part of that list. Try using coconut oil instead of skin lotions and you will discover its benefits for yourself.
2. Adds Shine to Hair : A massage of coconut oil solely or along with olive oil and castor oil helps nourish the skin to a remarkable extent. Massage it for 10 to 15 minutes and leave it for at least 1 to 2 hours, wash it and watch the shine it adds to your hair. Weekly massage with coconut oil helps to reduce hair fall and stimulate hair growth too.
3. Helps Get Rid of Dandruff: Rub coconut oil on your scalp and get a good massage done. Wear your shower cap and leave it for few hours hour before you have a hair bath. Regular use of coconut oil will help to ward off dandruff.
4. Remarkable as a Natural Lip Balm : In winter days especially when your lips lose moisture and turn dry, just apply coconut oil before going to bed and within 3 to 4 days to your surprise you would have recovered the smoothness of your lips.
5. Acts as a Skin Cleanser and Sun Screen : Coconut oil can act as a natural low SPF sunscreen and balances out the bacteria which may cause skin infections.
Key Takeaway : Just a tbsp. of coconut oil daily can benefit you with a horde of health benefits. From skin to heart, lungs to pancreas and bones to gut – it benefits almost every organ, tissue and cell of our body. Benefit from MCT’s. Start adding it to your meals TODAY, in fact RIGHT AWAY!