Kala Jamun Recipe, How To Make Kala Jamun
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 237 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 116098 times
This mithai gives you the wondrous feeling of biting into a gulab jamun but in a more handy form! Kala Jamun is made with a perfect mix of hariyali khoya and maida to get super soft jamuns, which are deep-fried and dipped in warm sugar syrup to make a lovely semi-dry sweet. This mithai is ideal to serve at parties or to send across to friends as you don’t have to worry about sugar syrup dripping out of the container. Next party besides Kala Jamun, fill up you mithai platter with assorted sweets like Akhrot Kaju Sheera , Dry Fruit Barfi , Rose Barfi , Chum Chum , Lebu Sandesh etc.
- Combine the sugar and 1½ cups of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 11 minutes or till the syrup is of one string consistency, while stirring occasionally.
- Remove any impurities which float on top of the syrup using a slotted spoon.
- Add the saffron, mix well and keep the syrup warm.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead very well into a very smooth dough.
- Divide this mixture into 20 equal portions and roll each into round balls, there should have no cracks on the surface as otherwise the kala jamuns will crack while deep-frying.
- Heat the ghee in a non-stick kadhai and deep-fry 10 jamuns at a time on a medium flame till they turn blackish in colour from all the sides.
- Drain and immerse in the warm sugar syrup. Soak for 1 hour.
- Serve immediately or serve warm.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.