Healthy Koftas in Makhani Gravy
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 475 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 46507 times
This dish is specially prepared for calorie conscious North Indian food fans. Take our word for it - these steamed koftas in a nourishing gravy are finger licking! Serve it with whole wheat parathas to make a satisfying meal.
The innovative twist here is the use of red pumpkin and low-fat milk to impart a creamy and thick mouth-feel, very close to authentic makhani fare, without using any butter or cream.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and shape each portion into an even sized round ball.
- Steam the koftas in a steamer for 4 to 5 minutes. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Combine the tomatoes, onions, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, red pumpkin and ¾ cup of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes or till the vegetables are soft, while stirring occasionally.
- Remove the cinnamon and cloves and discard them. Keep the mixture aside to cool slightly and blend it in a mixer to a smooth mixture.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the chilli powder and dried fenugreek leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the tomato-onion mixture, sugar and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Dissolve the cornflour in the milk, add it to the gravy and mix well. Cook on a medium flame for another 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- Just before serving, add the paneer palak koftas to the hot makhani gravy, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Serve hot.
- 2½ cups chopped spinach gives you ½ cup of blanched and chopped spinach.
- Squeeze out all the water from the blanched spinach to make koftas.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.