by Tarla Dalal
Added to 67 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 24106 times
The French Casserole is a classy one-dish meal with subtle flavours. It is basically comprised of three components – rice, spinach-onion mixture and tomato gravy – that are arranged and baked with a topping of cheese.
Spinach gives you a creamy mouth-feel, while the onions give you a pungent crunch and the tomato gravy endows the dish with an irresistibly tangy taste.
The rice is cooked in milk, which gives a classic taste and creamy texture to the dish. With a touch of spices and the appetizing aroma of herbs, the French Casserole is a sure-shot hit!
Try your hand at making more French favourites like the Spaghetti Souffle or Baked Vegetable Pancakes in White Sauce with Eggs
Add your private note
French Casserole recipe - How to make French Casserole
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Baking time: 15 minutes Baking temperature: 200ºC (400ºF) Total Time:
Makes 6 servings
- Combine the rice, milk, 1½ cup of water, salt and pepper in a broad non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 18 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the spinach, green chillies and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Combine the tomatoes, onions and 1 cup of water in a broad non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 6 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Cool completely. Put it into a mixer and blend till smooth.
- Combine the tomato-onion mixture, chilli powder, oregano, chilli flakes, sugar, salt and pepper in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cream, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 30 seconds. Keep aside.
- Spread the rice in a glass baking dish in an even layer.
- Spread the spinach-onion mixture evenly over it.
- Spread the tomato gravy evenly over it.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over it.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.