Doi Potol, Healthy Bengali Subzi
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 1 cookbook
This recipe has been viewed 1149 times
Here is a great way to enjoy the traditional East Indian recipe, which is originally cooked with whole parwals in a lot of oil.
But here, we bring to you an absolutely nutritious treat by giving a healthy twist to this delicious preparation. We have cut the parwal into halves and sauteed it in very little oil, to make sure the oil absorption is at its minimum thereby making it a healthy alternative to the traditional Doi Potol.
The blend of curds with flavorful spices gives this recipe a delectable taste. We have used less spices to suit pregnant women as well.
This healthy variant of the traditional eastern recipe is sure to tingle your taste buds! Make sure you serve it hot and enjoy it with soft phulkas!
- Boil enough water in a deep non-tick pan, add the parwal and cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes. Drain.
- Combine the parwal, turmeric powder and little salt in a deep bowl, mix gently and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat 1 tsp of mustard oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the parwal-turmeric mixture and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes. Remove and keep aside.
- In the same deep non-stick pan, add the remaining 1 tsp of mustard oil, add the cardamom, cloves, bayleaf and cinnamon stick and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the grated onions, ginger paste and green chilli paste and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the chilli powder, cumin seeds powder, garam masala, coriander powder and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the curds, sugar, little salt and ½ cup water, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the cooked parwal- turmeric powder mixture, cover with a lid and cook on a slow flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.