Added to 48 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 25054 times
The Mughals made use of all kinds of dals available to them to prepare mouthwatering dishes such as this one.
Made with urad dal or split black lentils this dal is tempered with whole kashmiri red chillies that add the spiciness and colour.
This dal should be eaten hot as it tends to become thick and mushy when cold. Also avoid going overboard with the cream as this too will lead to the texture of the dal turning sticky.
This dal can be served with rice as well as with rotis or parathas.
- Clean, wash and soak the urad dal in enough water for 1 hour. Drain well.
- Combine the urad dal and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook it for 3 whistles or till the dal is cooked.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep pan and add the cinnamon and cloves and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste, red chillies, green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, garam masala, chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt and sauté on a medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked urad dal, lemon juice, coriander and ½ cup water, mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Switch off the flame, add the fresh cream and coriander and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a pan, add the cumin seeds, remaining red chilli and garam masala and sauté for 1 minute.
- Pour this tempering over the prepared dal and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.