Chikki Ice- Cream
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 201 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 17929 times
If you love butterscotch ice-cream with crunchy pieces of caramel teasing your taste buds, you will love this Chikki Ice Cream even better. Traditional notes of cardamom and saffron flavour this delicious ice-cream, which is enhanced further with crisp and sweet bits of homemade chikki. While we have prepared a chikki of mixed nuts to give a rich and luxurious texture and flavour to this ice-cream, you can opt to make your chikki with any nuts, or you can even buy readymade chikki if you are short of time. You will thoroughly enjoy the outcome!
- Combine the saffron and warm milk in a small bowl, mix well milk and keep aside.
- Combine the cornflour and ½ cup of milk in a bowl and mix well. Keep aside.
- Boil the remaining 2 cups of milk and sugar in a deep non-stick pan.
- Add the cornflour-milk mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 15 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the cardamom powder and saffron-milk mixture and mix well.
- Cool completely. Once cooled, add the fresh cream and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow aluminium container. Cover with an aluminium foil and freeze for 6 hours or till semi-set.
- Heat the sugar in a broad non-stick pan and cook on a medium flame for 5 to7 minutes or till the sugar melts, while stirring continuously.
- Remove from the flame, add the almonds and pistachios and mix well.
- Spread the mixture on a greased flat surface and allow it to cool and harden.
- Scrape it out using a palate knife and coarsely powder it using a mortar-pestle (khalbatta). Keep aside.
- Divide the chikki into 2 equal portions and keep aside.
- Remove the semi-set ice-cream from the freezer and transfer it in a mixer and blend along with 1 portion of the chikki and blend till smooth.
- Add the remaining 1 portion of the chikki and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture back into the same aluminium shallow container. Cover with an aluminium foil and freeze for approx. 10 hours or till set.
- Scoop and serve.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.