Cabbage Nachni Koftas in Makhani Gravy, Low Salt Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 162 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 84483 times
The moment somebody hears the word ‘makhani’, it reminds them of a rich and buttery gravy and they immediately strike it off their diet-friendly list!
However, this innovative recipe shows that you can recreate the same buttery experience using apt ingredients and cooking methods, in a pretty much diet-friendly way.
This is indeed a makhani gravy but we have not even used a spot of high-saturated, fat-laden butter, but used a little bit of oil instead.
The koftas are also unusual, made using iron-rich nachni for binding, instead of corn flour. Putting our heads together to make the Cabbage Nachni Koftas in Makhani Gravy as healthy as possible, we decided to steam the koftas instead of deep-frying them.
This makes the dish healthier, without compromising on flavour. This low-salt recipe is sure to be a healthy treat for those with high blood pressure.
You can also try other low-salt subzis like the Mili Jhuli Subzi and Bengali Mixed Vegetable Dry Sabzi .
- Combine all the ingredients along with 2 tbsp of water in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and shape each portion into an even sized small round.
- Steam the koftas in a steamer for 10 minutes. Keep aside.
- Combine the tomatoes, onions, cloves, cinnamon, red pumpkin and ¾ cup of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely. Remove the cinnamon and cloves and discard them. Blend in a mixer till smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the tomato- onion mixture, dried fenugreek leaves, chilli powder, garlic paste, sugar, salt and ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Just before serving, reheat the makhani gravy, add the cabbage nachni koftas, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.