Brown Rice Neer Dosa, Without Fermentation
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 9 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 3417 times
Neer Dosa is a special, indigenous recipe from Karnataka, which has a wonderful taste and unique texture despite being made of a plain rice batter!
Yes, it might be hard to believe but the batter for these soft, thin, homely pancakes is made of just rice and salt. This gives the Neer Dosa a very nice texture, which reminds one of the homely and comforting cooking of traditional Kannada families.
Plus, since this batter does not require fermentation, it can be made without having to plan and prepare from the previous day itself.
In this variant, we have made the Neer Dosa with unpolished brown rice instead of white rice. This is very healthy but at the same time, it tastes just like authentic Neer Dosa. Just make sure you serve the Brown Rice Neer Dosa immediately after preparation, to enjoy the best texture.
You can serve it with Sambhar and Chutney , or with grated coconut sweetened with jaggery.
- Combine the drained raw rice and ¾ cup of water in a mixer and blend till smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add 1 cup of water and salt and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) till red hot, sprinkle a little water on the tava (griddle) and wipe it off gently using a muslin cloth.
- Grease the tava (griddle), with a little oil and pour approx. 1/3 cup (approx. 5 tbsp) of the batter on it and tilt the tava (griddle), in a circular motion to make a round dosa.
- Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute. Fold the dosa into a triangle.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make 9 more dosas.
- Serve immediately with sambhar and coconut chutney.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per dosa
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.