Baked Nachni Chivda
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 8 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 13886 times
Who doesn’t like chivda! It does comes as a shock to diabetics that they can’t have deep-fried, oily chivda, but this recipe is sure to put the smile back on your faces.
Here, we first make baked nachni sev and temper it to make tasty Baked Nachni Chivda. The use of lemon juice, garlic paste and other flavour enhancers in the nachni dough gives the sev a delectable flavour, which is further enhanced by the tempering. We have suggested a small but satisfying portion size, which is within the norms of a diabetic diet.
- Combine the nachni flour, chilli powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida, lemon juice, garlic paste, salt and 2 tsp of oil in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Shape the dough into a cylindrical roll, fill the dough into the “sev press” and press out thin strands onto a greased baking tray.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 20 minutes, toss them after 7 minutes and then after every 3 minutes. Every time while tossing also keep breaking the sev into pieces. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tsp of oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the roasted chana dal and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Switch off the flame, add the baked sev and sugar substitute and toss well.
- Cool, store in an air-tight container and use as required.
- It is highly recommended that this recipe be relished by diabetics only occasionally and in small quantities. This is just a mere ‘treat’ and does not qualify for a regular diabetic menu.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per (makes 1¼ cups)
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.