Bakar Khani Naan, Hyderabadi Baked Naan
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 5 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 11951 times
Bakar Khani Naan is a unique baked naan that is coated with poppy seeds and flavoured with cardamom powder. Baking gives this Hyderabadi naan a special taste and aroma, which are heightened by brushing it with melted butter before serving.
Make sure you serve it immediately to experience the best flavour and texture. When one batch of the naan is being baked, make sure you keep the remaining rolled ones covered with a damp muslin cloth; otherwise they will dry up and spoil the texture.
You can try other naan recipes like Butter Naan and Nawabi Naan .
- Combine the dry yeast, a pinch of sugar and ½ cup of lukewarm water in a small bowl, mix well and cover it with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the plain flour, yeast-sugar mixture, curds, melted butter, remaining sugar, cardamom powder and salt in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using warm milk.
- Cover the dough with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside for 45 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 15 portions and shape each portion into a round.
- Take a portion of the dough and roll into a 175 mm. (7”) diameter circle without using any flour for rolling. Apply melted butter all over it.
- Fold it into a semi-circle and apply little melted butter.
- Fold it lengthwise and apply little more melted butter.
- Roll it with your hands from left to right to form a flower.
- Press gently and roll it again into a 125 mm. (5”) thick diameter circle without using any flour for rolling.
- Sprinkle little poppy seeds over the naan and press it lightly.
- Repeat steps 5 to 10 to make 14 more naans.
- Place half the naans on a baking tray and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 15 minutes.
- Repeat step 12 to bake 1 more batch.
- Brush each naan with a little melted butter.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per naan
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.