by Tarla Dalal
Added to 136 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 76869 times
A soothing soup of onions, potatoes and asparagus fortified with nutritious vegetable stock, the Asparagus Soup has a very creamy feel about it, thanks to being boiled with low-fat milk. Asparagus is a great soup ingredient as it is a low-calorie vegetable with a good amount of fibre, which helps to lower LDL cholesterol, thus protecting the heart. To add to the goodness of this soup, you can use olive oil to sauté the onions, as it is rich in vitamin E, a potent antioxidant, and mono-unsaturated fatty acids that help reduce the risk of heart diseases by lowering blood cholesterol levels.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, asparagus and vegetable stock and bring to boil. Cover and cook on a slow flame for 8 minutes or till the potatoes are cooked.
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly and then blend in a mixer to a smooth puree using 2 cups of water.
- Transfer the purée back into the deep non-stick pan, add the milk, salt and pepper, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with asparagus.
- VARIATION: PARSLEY SOUP
- Substitute the asparagus with 1 cup of chopped parsley.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.