by Tarla Dalal
Added to 31 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 59917 times
Wish to get into Lord Ganesha’s good books? Look no further. The Amrit Modak is inarguably his favourite food! Widely made during Ganesh Utsav, this delicious sweet treat is made using mawa, sugar and kesar.
The tinge of saffron is quite noticeable and hence this is also called the Kesar Modak. Apart from the luxuriant flavour and melt-in-the-mouth texture, another striking feature of these modaks is the crunchy pistachio stuffing, which packs a punch of excitement into each bite!
Much loved by young and old alike, the Amrit Modak is a good addition to any festive menu, not just Ganesh Utsav. Give it a try right away, because every day brings with it a new reason to celebrate life.
Also do try other Indian sweets using mawa like Mawa Kachori, Mawa Peda, Coconut Barfi or Mawa Kesar Roll.
- Combine the khoya and powdered sugar in a heavy bottomed pan and cook on a slow flame, stirring continuously till the sugar has dissolved and the moisture has evaporated (approximately 5 to 10 minutes).
- Remove from the flame, add the cardamom powder and mix well. Allow it to cool completely.
- Divide the mixture into two portions, 2/3 and 1/3.
- Add the pistachios to the 1/3 mixture, and mix well.
- Add the saffron to the 2/3 mixture, and mix well.
- Divide the pistachio mixture into 8 equal portions. Shape into even sized rounds.
- Divide the saffron mixture into 8 equal portions and shape into even sized rounds.
- Stuff each saffron round with the pistachio round and seal the edges completely and give the shape of modak or use a modak mould to press into desired shape.
- Handy Tip: Modak Moulds are available in the market and all ou have to do is stuff it with the modak mixture and demould. Do remember to grease the modak mould before use.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per modak
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.