Viewed 13421 times
Also Known As
Bicarbonate of soda, Sodium Bicarbonate, NaHCO3
Baking soda is a white powder with crystalline grains, which is used as a leavening agent. Its main purpose is to break down proteins and neutralise acids. Thus, it aids in leavening and tenderising.
How to select
• Select from known brands.
• Check the manufacturing date, expiry date and the packaging before purchasing.
• Baking soda is a natural tenderiser. Thus, it can be added to soaked beans etc. before pressure cooking. Baking soda quickens the cooking process.
• As a leavening agent, it is used in baking. Baked recipes leavened using baking soda usually have a lighter crumb and show signs of aeration (in form of tiny holes) because of the escape of carbon dioxide.
• A pinch of soda added to tomato sauce while cooking helps reduce acidity.
• It is added in Gujarati snacks like dhokla, muthia etc.
How to store
Store in an airtight container in a cool and dry place.
• Since it is an acid neutraliser, it is used in various first aid applications. It can soothe discomforts arising from sunburns.
• Bee stings can be eased using a paste of baking soda and cold water.