Murukku ( Tiffin Treats)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 79 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 32143 times
This is one snack that will be there in most South Indian houses on almost all days. Indeed, this crunchy delicacy made with rice and urad dal flours is an exciting treat that will be loved by all, especially thanks to the peppy aroma and flavour imparted by sesame and asafoetida. Before you start frying the Murukku, put a small bit of the dough into the oil. If it floats up immediately, it means the oil is hot enough. Now, you can bring down the flame level, press out the Murukku and allow it to fry slowly till completely cooked inside. When the sizzling sound of the oil stops, it means your Murukku is completely cooked and you can take it out. Make a large batch of this and store it in an air-tight container, to send as a short-eat in your kids' tiffin box, or to munch on in the evenings. Also pack Melba Toast with Creamy Cheese Dip ( Tiffin Treats) in another tiffin for a perfect short break combo.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead into a semi-soft dough using enough water (approx. ¾ cup).
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions and put one portion of the dough into a murukku / chakli press.
- Press out 1 round swirl of the dough on a clean, dry surface working closely from the centre to the outside of the swirl (approx. 100 mm. (4") diameter).
- Repeat with the remaining dough to make 19 more swirls.
- Heat the oil in a deep non- stick kadhai, lift each swirl with a spatula and deep-fry them, a few at a time on a slow flame, till they turn light brown in colour and crisp from both the sides.
- Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Allow it to cool completely, and pack in an air-tight tiffin box.
Nutrient values per murruku
|Vitamin A||29.4 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||5.4 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.