Vegetable Sandwich ( Mumbai Roadside Recipes )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 110 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 252952 times
Vegetable sandwich, common fare on the mumbai streets, this is a wholesome meal that you can feast on however short of time you are! each sandwich is neatly cut into six equal pieces and served with tomato ketchup and chutney. And not to worry if you like it piping hot… bhaiyya will be very happy to toast them for you.
- Dry roast the cumin seeds on a tava (griddle) for a few seconds, while stirring continuously and keep aside to cool.
- Combine all the ingredients including the roasted cumin seeds and blend in a mixer to a fine powder.
- Store in an air-tight container and use as required.
- Trim off the edges of each slice of bread, apply 1 tsp of butter and ½ tsp of chutney on it and keep aside.
- Place a slice of bread, with the buttered side facing upwards, on a clean flat surface.
- Arrange a few cucumber slices (approx. 8 to 10) and sprinkle ¼ tsp of sandwich masala evenly over it.
- Arrange 2 onion slices, 4 to 5 potato slices and sprinkle ¼ tsp of sandwich masala evenly over it.
- Arrange 2 beetroot slices, 6 to 7 tomato slices and sprinkle ¼ tsp of sandwich masala evenly over it.
- Place another slice of bread, with the buttered side facing downwards and press it lightly.
- Cut into 6 equal pieces, place them on a plate and apply ½ tsp of butter evenly over it.
- Serve immediately with tomato ketchup and green chutney.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more plates.
- Brown bread vegetable sandwich: replace white bread with brown bread for a healthier version of this delicacy.
- Cheese vegetable sandwich: simply put a generous amount of grated cheese over the tomatoes (after step 5 in the above recipe), top with another slice of bread and some more grated cheese over it. Cut into 6 equal pieces and serve immediately.
- Veg toast sandwich: place the sandwich in an electric toaster or a hand toaster and cook using butter till it turns brown and crisp on both sides. Remove and cut into 6 equal pieces and serve hot topped with butter and nylon sev.
- Jain vegetable sandwich: to make a jain version, use generous amounts of cucumber and tomatoes in the above recipe. Do not add onions, potatoes and beetroot. You can have this sandwich as is or toasted.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.