Potato Handvo ( Non- Fried Snacks )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 72 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 27775 times
A delicious mixed vegetable stuffing flavoured with spice powders and pastes is sandwiched between circles made with a dough of mashed potato and bread, and the whole arrangement is cooked with an aromatic tempering of sesame seeds, with minimal oil, in a non-stick kadhai.
Although not deep-fried, this Potato Handvo has a very exciting texture, which is crisp on the outer and soft and tasty inside, as you reach the filling. The roasted sesame seeds phenomenally boost the aroma of this dish, making it really irresistible.
Enjoy this Gujarati Farsans fresh off the kadhai with green chutney.
- For the vegetable filling
- 1. Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the french beans, carrots, green peas, and 1 tbsp of water and sauté on a medium flame for 4 minutes.
- 2. Add the ginger-green chilli paste, lemon juice, sugar, garam masala and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- 3. Add the coriander and coconut, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 more minute, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and mix very well.
- Divide the mixture into 2 equal portions.
- Place a portion of the potato mixture on a clean, dry surface and pat it with your fingers to form a 175 mm. (7”) diameter flat circle.
- Repeat step 3 with the remaining portion of the potato mixture. Keep aside.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and add the sesame seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, lift a flattened potato circle gently and place it in the kadhai.
- Add the vegetable filling over it and spread it evenly.
- Top with another flattened potato circle and press it on all the sides using a ladle to seal the filling.
- Cover it with a lid and cook on a slow flame for 5 to 6 minutes or till the handvo turns golden brown in colour at the bottom.
- Lift the handvo gently using 2 large flat spoons and turn it over carefully.
- Pour 2 tsp of oil along the sides of the handvo and cook on a slow flame for another 10 minutes or till it turns crisp and golden brown in colour at the bottom.
- Cool slightly and cut into 14 square pieces.
- Serve immediately with green chutney.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.