Potato Handvo ( Non- Fried Snacks )
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 42 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 20153 times
Potato handvo, a really innovative way of making handvo, without using any dal or flour but with potatoes! trust me, it is simply superb – literally! it has to be made with care and skill – as the potato mixture is rolled, roll them between two greased plastic sheets to avoid sticking. Breadcrumbs help to bind the potato mixture and give shape and firmness to the handvo. The vegetable mixture is very tasty too, and obviously healthy as well. Those who are fasting can make this handvo using arrowroot flour instead of breadcrumbs and using a coconut and peanuts stuffing instead of vegetables.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai, add the french beans, carrots and green peas, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring continuously (sprinkle little water to avoid burning).
- Add the ginger-green chilli paste, lemon juice, sugar, salt and garam masala, mix well and cook on a slow flame for another 2 to 3 minutes, stirring once in between.
- Add the coriander and coconut and mix well. Keep aside.
- Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 2 equal portions and roll each portion into a 175 mm. (7") diameter circle using arrowroot flour for rolling. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a non-stick kadhai and add the sesame seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, lift the rolled potato mixture gently and place it in the kadhai.
- Add the vegetable filling and spread it evenly over the rolled potato mixture.
- Top with another rolled potato mixture and press it on all the sides to seal the filling using a spatula.
- Cover and cook on a slow flame till it turns golden brown in colour and crisp (approximately 7 to 8 minutes).
- Lift the handvo gently using 2 large flat spoons and turn it over carefully to the other side.
- Pour 1 tsp oil along the sides of kadhai and cook on a slow flame for another 5 to 7 minutes or till it turns golden brown in colour and crisp.
- Cool slightly and cut into equal pieces. Serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.