Moong Dal Sheera ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 482 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 71508 times
This recipe is ambrosia for all sweet lovers, especially those fond of sheera. This coarse-textured, hot sweet takes a long time to cook—as slow cooking with continuous stirring is a must for this recipe—but is definitely a rewarding effort! soak the saffron in warm milk for at least 20 minutes as it adds colour and enhances the aroma.
- Drain the moong dal, add 1 tbsp of water and blend in a mixer to a coarse paste. Keep aside.
- Dissolve the saffron in 1 tbsp of warm milk and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a broad non-stick kadhai, add the moong dal paste and cook on a slow flame for 40 to 45 minutes or till it becomes golden brown in colour, while stirring continuously.
- Add the warm milk and 1 cup of warm water, mix well and cook on a slow flame for another 3 to 4 minutes or till all the liquid is absorbed, while stirring continuously.
- Add the sugar and mix well. Cover and cook on a slow flame for 15 to 17 minutes or till the ghee separates, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared saffron-milk mixture and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Serve hot garnished with almond, pistachio slivers and saffron strands.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.