Khoya Or Mawa, How To Make Khoya
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 207 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 23625 times
Any mithai with Khoya is totally irresistible, because of its rich, milky flavour. Not only that, khoya also imparts a creamy yet coarse texture that feels so wonderful on the palate. Here is the traditional way of preparing Khoya.
It does take a little time to thicken the milk, but it is completely worth the efforts as no shortcut will give the same intense flavour and mouth-feel. What you could do is, prepare some Khoya whenever you end up with some extra milk and time on your hands, ready to use when you prepare your favourite sweets like Carrot Halwa , Jaripalla Churma , Mava Kesar Roll , Pista Choco Roll , Amrit Modak etc.
- Boil the milk in a deep non-stick pan on a high flame, while stirring twice in between. This will take approx. 4 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce the flame to medium and cook for 30 minutes or till the milk reduces to ¾ of its quantity, while stirring occasionally and scraping the sides of the pan.
- Continue cooking on a medium flame for 7 more minutes or till the mixture leaves the sides of the pan, while stirring continuously and scraping the sides of the pan.
- Transfer it to a plate, spread it with the help of a spatula. Keep aside to cool for 30 minutes.
- Use as required or store in the freezer till use.
- The khoya has to be cooled completely before freezing it. It stays fresh in an air-tight container in freezer for almost 15 days.
- If the khoya is in freezer while using it, then remove it from the freezer at least 30 minutes before using it and thaw it at room temperature.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.