Handi Khichdi ( Chawal)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 439 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 26317 times
The handi has a wonderful way of condensing evaporated water and pushing it back into the vessel, making it possible to cook with very little water, and minimizing nutrient loss. What is more, this handy utensil also retains the aromas and flavours of spices to the fullest. Here is a traditional Handi Khichdi, made with rice and loads of veggies. You will love it so much that you will want to repeat this authentic recipe as often as possible!
- Combine the coriander, onions, coriander-cumin seeds powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder, ginger-green chilli paste, garlic paste and salt in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Add the potatoes, green peas, cauliflower, oil, rice, cardamom and cinnamon and mix well.
- Put this mixture into a handi, add 1½ cups of hot water and mix well.
- Cover with a lid and cook on a slow flame for 25 to 30 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately with buttermilk and papad.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.