Chutney Podi ( Thengai)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 86 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 63753 times
This flavourful Chutney Podi is sure to make you gobble up an extra idli or two! Mixed with til oil, this Chutney Podi makes an exciting accompaniment to hot idlis and dosas. When packing idlis in the lunch box or for a journey, you can coat them with a mixture of Chutney Podi and til oil to make sure they remain moist and soft. Having absorbed all the flavours of the powder, the idlis will taste even better than fresh, hot ones! You can even use this aromatic powder to season upmas and dry subzis to make them more appealing.
- Combine the chana dal, urad dal and coconut in a pan and dry roast on a slow flame till they release a pleasant aroma, while stirring continuously (approx. 10 to 12 minutes). Remove and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in the same pan, add the red chillies and asafoetida and sauté for few seconds. Remove and keep aside.
- Combine all the ingredients together except the salt and blend in a mixer to a fine powder.
- Add the salt and mix well.
- Store in an air-tight container and use as required.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.