Chawli Masoor Dal
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 29 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 30658 times
One of my favorites, chawli is one of the richest sources of iron, and ideal for pregnant women. It can be cooked in a variety of ways; here it makes an interesting thick dal with masoor dal and coconut milk. Add vitamin c-rich lemon juice to enhance the absorption of iron from the chawli.
- Clean, wash and soak the masoor dal in water for about 30 minutes. Drain and wash thoroughly. Drain again.
- Add the turmeric powder, salt and ½ cup water and pressure cook for 3 whistles. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the chawli leaves and cook for 10 minutes while stirring continuously.
- Add the masoor dal and the ground paste and cook again for about 5 to 7 minutes while stirring continuously.
- Add the coconut milk and salt and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from the flame, add the lemon juice and mix well. Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
| 203 kcal|| 6.2 gm|| 15.2 gm|| 10.0 gm|| 5.3 mg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.