by Tarla Dalal
3/5 stars 67% LIKED IT
2 GOOD - 1 BAD
Added to 73 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 35303 times
You are sure to be using chawli, and even its a vegetable, quite commonly used in your cooking. Have you ever tried using its leaves, which are a storehouse of folic acid and iron? Chawli bhaji is a simple but tasty preparation of chawli greens. A purée of the greens tempered with a traditional combination of mustard, urad dal and chillies that is very common in South Indian cooking. Since the chawli leaves are naturally bitter so you may find a little bitter taste in the subzi.
- Combine the chawli leaves, turmeric powder, salt and 1¾ cups of water in a deep non-stick pan and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes or till half of the water dries out. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Blend in a mixer till smooth and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves, red chillies, urad dal and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the chawli mixture and a little salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
| 79 kcal|| 4.9 gm|| 7.9 gm|| 3.1 gm|| 4.6 gm|| 3.9 mg|| 439.8 mg|| 166.5 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.