Chatpati Subzi Biryani
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 117 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 35096 times
This vegetarian biryani uses loads of chopped vegetables such as carrots, french beans and potatoes to prepare the mixture that is layered between rice flavoured with whole garam masalas. You could remove the garam masalas from the rice before layering if required. Topping this biryani with some chopped dry fruits before serving would enhance its appearance and taste.
- Clean, wash and soak the rice for approx. 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Boil 4 cups of water, add the rice and cook till the rice is 80% done. Each grain of rice should be separate. Drain and discard the water. Keep the rice aside.
- Heat the ghee in deep pan and add the cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves, bayleaf and cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the ginger-garlic paste, green chillies and onions and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes or till the onions turn golden.
- Add the tomatoes and again sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt and mix well.
- Add the mixed vegetables and green peas, mix well and sauté till the vegetables are half cooked.
- Spread this vegetable mixture evenly at the bottom of 200 mm. (8") a greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle the coriander, mint leaves and lemon juice over it.
- Finally spread the rice in an even layer, cover with an aluminum foil and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180ºc (360ºf) for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.