Vada Pav, Mumbai Street Food
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 116 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 50787 times
This indigenous burger-like snack is the quickest and tastiest meal you can have in Mumbai – any time you are hungry, even in the middle of the night!
Succulent and spicy potato vadas are sandwiched between fresh pav bread along with dry garlic chutney, to make a delicious snack that tickles the taste buds and satisfies the tummy.
The Vada Pav has become so famous that it is now a popular snack all over the country and features on the menus of Indian restaurants even abroad. Remember to use freshly chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies to get the perfect taste.
Also check out our recipes of Healthy Vada Pav , Baked Vada Pav and Batata Vada Burger .
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the ginger, green chillies and garlic and sauté on a medium flame for a few more seconds.
- Add the potatoes, salt and turmeric powder, mix well and cook for a minute, while stirring continuously.
- Add the coriander and mix well.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside to cool.
- Divide it into 4 equal portions and shape each portion into a round.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai, dip each vada in the prepared batter and deep-fry in hot oil till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Slit a pav horizontally, apply a little khajur imli ki chutney, green chutney and sukhi lehsun ki chutney on the inner sides of the pav and stuff with a hot vada.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more vada pavs.
- Serve immediately with fried green chillies.
- Deep-fry the green chillies in hot oil till they become crisp and slightly whitish in colour. Drain on absorbent paper and serve with vada pav.
Nutrient values per vada pav
|Energy|| 329 kcal|
|Protein|| 7.7 gm|
|Carbohydrate|| 50.7 gm|
|Fat|| 10.7 gm|
|Fibre|| 4.2 gm|
|Vitamin A|| 313.5 mcg|
|Vitamin C|| 16.5 mg|
|Calcium|| 28.8 mg|
|Iron|| 1.8 mg|
|Folic Acid|| 35.2 mcg|
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.