Sambhar Video, How to make Sambar, South Indian Sambar by Tarla Dalal
Viewed 17848 times
Sambhar is a definite part of South Indian meals. Sometimes, they make it even more than once a day -- for breakfast and later for lunch or dinner. Brimful of the goodness of toovar dal and assorted vegetables, it is nutritious everyday fare and is so versatile that it can be taken with rice, idli, dosa, vada, upma, and just about any south Indian snack.
Recipe Description for Sambar Recipe, South Indian Homemade Sambar Recipe
- Wash the toovar dal thoroughly and drain.
- Combine the washed dal and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Blend the dal using a hand blender till it is smooth and keep aside.
- Combine the drumsticks and bottle gourd with 1 cup of water in a deep non-stick pan and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till the vegetables are soft. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked bottle gourd and drumstick, shallots, tamarind pulp, cooked dal, , salt, sambhar masala, chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and ¾ cup of water, mix well and bring to boil and allow to cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Serve hot.
See step by step images of Sambar Recipe, South Indian Homemade Sambar Recipe
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.