Jaundice Recipes, Jaundice Diet
Jaundice in simple terms is excess buildup of bilirubin in the blood which is mainly caused due to inflammation of the liver or obstruction of the bile ducts. The major symptoms include dark urine and yellow tinge on the skin and eyes. A few other symptoms seen are vomiting, abdominal pain, fever and sometimes even weight loss and intestinal disturbances.
Treat Jaundice with Juices initially
Good amount of rest and diet play a very important role in the treatment of jaundice. A simple JUICE DIET 4 to 6 times a day is the best in the beginning stage of jaundice so as to get enough antioxidants while not stressing on the digestive tract. Fresh fruits like apple, grapes, orange, sweet lime, pineapple, sugarcane etc. can be looked upon as the best additions. However avoid heavy fruits like banana, chickoo, mango and custard apple. After following this for 3 to 5 days, depending on the severity of the condition, fruit and vegetable juice combos, strained vegetable soups and thin dal without any spice can fat can be introduced. Remember not to consume any juices chilled or with ice.
Water and coconut water are your best friend. Do not miss out on including them in your diet.
6 Foods to Avoid with Jaundice
1. High protein foods like non-vegetarian foods. If tolerated cooked scrambled eggs can be given.
2. Other source of protein like dairy products, whole pulses and legumes.
3. Fats like butter, ghee, oil, cream, mayonnaise etc.
4. Deep fried and shallow fried foods.
5. Fermented foods, nuts, soft drinks, ready to eat foods and alcohol.
6. Sweet items and desserts.
Here are a few juices and soups to help you sail through this condition smoothly.