oats khakhra recipe | quick oats whole wheat flour khakhra | healthy oats khakhra |
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 25 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 23521 times
mini oats khakhra recipe | quick and easy oats khakhra | healthy oats khakhra |
sesame oats khakhra is a healthy snack which is a wise substitute to fried jar snacks. Learn how to make mini oats khakhra.
Quick and easy oats khakhra gets healthier and tastier due to addition of oats to whole wheat flour and crunchy sesame seeds. Oats provide energy and protein to the kids along with a good amount of fibre while sesame seeds add iron to their meals.
These oats khakhra are suitable for diabetic snack, healthy heart breakfast and PCOS breakfast. With minimal amounts of salt added, even those with high blood pressure can relish them.
To make mini oats khakhra, combine oats flour, wheat flour, sesame seeds, chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and oil in a bowl and knead into a firm dough using a little water. Divide into 12 portions and roll each portion into a 3” diameter circle. Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook each khakhra on a slow flame till pink spots appear on both the sides. Apply ¼ tsp of oil and continue cooking the khakhra on a slow flame, while pressing with a folded muslin cloth or a khakhra press, till it turns crisp and brown from both the sides.
Tips for mini oats khakhra. 1. Wheat flour can be replaced with jowar flour. 2. Sesame seeds can be replaced with flax seeds for additional fiber. 3. Cook the khakhras only on a slow flame so they cook well and turn crispy. 4. Use a muslin cloth or a khakhra press to apply pressure on the khakhra so they cook from the insides too.
Make the healthy and tasty oats khakhra in batches and store them in an air-tight container to serve them to your kids at any time of the day they feel hungry.
Learn to make mini oats khakhra recipe | quick and easy oats khakhra | healthy and tasty oats khakhra | sesame oats khakhra | with step by step photos and video below.
- To make mini oats khakhra, combine all the ingredients and knead into a firm dough using a little water.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and roll out each portion into a 75 mm. (3") diameter thin circle, using a little wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook each khakhra on a slow flame till pink spots appear on both the sides.
- Apply ¼ tsp of oil and continue cooking the khakhra on a slow flame, while pressing with a folded muslin cloth or a khakhra press, till it turns crisp and brown from both the sides.
- Cool and store the mini oats khakhra in an air-tight container.
- To get ½ cup of oats flour, grind ½ cup of quick cooking rolled oats in a mixer and use as required.
Mini Oats Khakhra (Iron Rich Recipe for Kids) Video by Tarla dalal
Mini Oats Khakhra recipe with step by step photos
like oats khakhra recipe | quick oats whole wheat flour khakhra | healthy oats khakhra for kids | then see our collection of khakhra breakfast recipes. Khakhra are popular Gujarati dry snacks. They are thin, crispy and generally healthy as they are roasted on the tava without the use of fat or just minimal fat. The khakhra dough can be made with a myriad of flour, leafy greens, spices and condiments. You can make them in quantity and stored in a container. Also, they stay fresh for a long time and can be carried along. Infact, they are a perfect travel food too. Below are some of my personal favorite khakhra recipes :
- whole wheat khakhra | Gujarati whole wheat khakhra | healthy whole wheat khakhra | with 14 amazing images.
- methi khakhra | whole wheat methi khakhra | gujarati methi khakhra | fenugreek flat bread | with 20 amazing images.
- pudina khakhra recipe | healthy pudina whole wheat flour khahkra | weight loss khakhra | with 20 amazing images.
what is oats khakhra made off? quick oats whole wheat flour khakhra is made from 1/2 cup quick cooking rolled oats flour , refer handy tip, 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta), 2 tsp sesame seeds (til), 1/2 tsp chilli powder, a pinch of turmeric powder (haldi), salt to taste, 2 tsp oil and whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta) for rolling. See photo of list of ingredients of oats khakhra .
- Oats are Protein Rich : Oats are a great source of protein for Vegetarians. Slightly over 10% of its energy comes from Protein.
- Oats are also a very good dessert ingredient because they are low in sugar, have a low Glycemic Index and are loaded with soluble fibre. You can give this Oats and Dates Kheer - a sugar free dessert definitely a try. See detailed 16 super benefits of oats.
To get 1/2 cup of oats flour, put 1/2 cup of quick cooking rolled oats in a mixer.
Blend to a smooth powder.
- Good for bones : Whole wheat flour is rich in Phosphorus which is a major mineral which works closely with calcium to build our bones.
- Diabetic Friendly: Being rich in Magnesium, whole wheat flour contributes to many health benefits and will improve insulin response by lowering insulin resistance. Excellent for controlling blood sugar levels through the presence of Zinc also.
- See detailed 11 benefits of whole wheat flour.
To make dough for oats khakhra, in a bowl put 1/2 cup quick cooking rolled oats flour.
Add 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta).
Add 2 tsp sesame seeds (til).
Add 1/2 tsp chilli powder. You can increase the chilli powder as we have kept it low for kids to have this helathy snack.
Add a pinch of turmeric powder (haldi).
Add salt to taste. We added 1/2 tsp salt.
Add 2 tsp oil.
Add enough water to make a firm dough. We added 1/4 cup water. Then we needed to add extra 2 tablespoons water.
Knead into a firm dough.
To make oats khakhra recipe | quick oats whole wheat flour khakhra | healthy oats khakhra | divide the dough into 12 equal portions.
Sprinkle a little whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta) on the rolling surface. Flatten the dough between your palms and place on rolling board and top with flour.
As you roll the dough, you will need to rotate it and sprinkle whole wheat flour on it.
Roll out a portion of the dough into a 75 mm. (3") diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling. This is a slighlty thicker khakhra.
Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it with oil or ghee. If you wish you can cook this without oil. Since we are using very little oil, no harm in having a little fat.
Place the rolled out Khakhra dough on it.
Cook on one side for 30 to 45 seconds or until bubbles (blisters) appear. Cook on slow flame. High flame will burn the khakhra.
Grease with ¼ tsp of oil or ghee.
Flip and cook the Khakhra on the other side. Cook on slow flame to get a crisp khakhra.
With the help of a khakhra press or folded muslin cloth, press the khakhra from all the sides and cook over a slow flame till it is crisp.
You will have to keep cooking the khakhra and flipping it till done.
Your oats khakhra | quick oats whole wheat flour khakhra | healthy oats khakhra | is ready.
Serve oats khakhra recipe | quick oats whole wheat flour khakhra | healthy oats khakhra | as a healthy Indian snack.
Store oats khakra in an airtight container for upto 15 days.
Wheat flour can be replaced with jowar flour.
Sesame seeds can be replaced with flax seeds for additional fiber.
Cook the khakhras only on a slow flame so they cook well and turn crispy.
Use a muslin cloth or a khakhra press to apply pressure on the khakhra so they cook from the insides too.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per mini khakhra
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.