Kai Murukku, South Indian Handmade Chakli
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 8 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 20454 times
Kai Murukku is one of the most famous South Indian jar snacks, and is like an endorsement of one’s cooking skills! Made with a dough of rice and urad, this chakli like snack is shaped entirely by hand, which requires a bit of practice to master.
However, it is completely worth the effort because this tasty snack is almost addictive. So yummy yet homely, it can be had at any time of the day.
It is often made during festivals like Janmashtami and Diwali , and tastes amazing with a cup of hot coffee.
Just make sure you fry the Kai Murukku patiently till the oil stops bubbling because this is made with a wet flour and will not get the required crispness if it is not completely cooked.
You can also try other South Indian jar snacks like Ribbon Sev or Seedai .
- Soak the parboiled rice in enough water in a deep bowl for 2 hours. Drain well.
- Blend using approx. 7 tbsp of water till smooth but the mixture should be thick. Keep aside.
- Dry roast the urad dal in a small non-stick pan on a medium flame for 2 minutes or till it turns light brown in colour.
- Cool slightly and blend in a mixer to a smooth powder.
- Combine all the ingredients, including the parboiled rice mixture and urad dal powder in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough without using any water, if you feel the dough is not soft enough then add approx. 1 to 2 tbsp of water.
- Place a plastic sheet on a clean, dry surface. Take a small lemon sized portion of the dough gently pinch the dough and make it into an elongated shape. Twist and twirl with fingers and form a circular pattern of about 3 to 4 turns.
- Place each one of these kai murrukus in a greased plate until you have all ready for frying.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and deep-fry 5 murukkus at a time on a medium low flame for 12 to 15 minutes or till the bubbling of the oil completely stops. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Cool completely and store in an air-tight container. Use as required.
Nutrient values per muruku
|Vitamin A||13.4 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.5 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||3.5 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.