Last Updated : Jun 05,2018
Viewed 8869 times
Also known as
Lychee is an aromatic fruit with a sweet taste. The fruit is a drupe, 3-4cm long and 3cm in diameter. It is covered by a pinkish-red, roughly-textured rind on the outside, which is inedible but can be easily removed. The pulpy inner flesh is a translucent white, with a wet and wobbly, jelly-like texture. It is sweet and has a strong aroma. Within this flesh is encased a brown nut-like seed, which is around 2cm long and 1-1.5cm in diameter.
Remove the outer skin of the lychees and deseed them. Chop the flesh of the lychee into small even-sized pieces. Canned lychees may also be used for chopping. Chopped lychees must be chilled, and can be added to salads, or enjoyed with cream or ice-cream. They can also be made into lychee puree by adding water and blending.
How to select
• Select fresh-looking lychees with firm skin.
• A small length of the stem should be attached.
• Canned lychee is also available all year round.
• Lychees can be relished plain or with ice-cream, fresh cream or custard.
• They can be added to fruit salads, custards, ice-creams and other desserts.
• Lychees can also be combined with other fruits and veggies to make great salads.
• Juices and cocktails using lychee, like Lychee Iced Tea, Martinis and Lemonades are also common.
• Blend the lychee flesh with water to obtain a smooth puree, strain and discard the pulp. Use the puree to make mocktails.
How to store
• Lychees usually do not ripen further after harvesting.
• Refrigerate them in a plastic bag or container, and use within 7 days.
• When the fresh fruit is refrigerated, the red rind turns dark brown but the taste is not affected.
• Lychee is a good source of vitamin C, which helps to build immunity and fight against diseases.
• It provides minerals like Copper, Phosphorous and Potassium.
• Being low in fat, it finds a place on a weight-watcher’s menu too.
• The antioxidant in lychee helps build healthy skin, remove blemishes and prevent sign of ageing.
• The antioxidant factor helps strengthen heart vessels also.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.