Last Updated : Jun 02,2018
Viewed 505 times
Also Known as
Whole Oats, Old Fashioned Oats
Description of Rolled Oats
Rolled Oats or Whole Oats are also called old fashioned oats and are extremely healthy. From a health point of view, Steel Cut Oats are the healthiest and then comes Rolled Oats. After that comes quick cooking Oats which are the cheapest Oats freely available at every corner store in India. The whole grains are first steamed to soften them and then flatten into an oval shape. We have used rolled oats to make Granola Bars as their texture holds better when baked. You get that chewy texture from bars as a result of rolled oats. If you make the bars with quick cooking Oats, they will have a very crumbly texture.
So if you are baking, get hold of Rolled Oats as they are healthier and give a better finished product. You can easily get Rolled Oats in India though they will be a bit more expensive than quick cooking oats.
11 Health Benefits of Rolled Oats
1. Good for Heart : It is rich in soluble fibre, which helps lower blood LDL cholesterol, the so-called "Bad" cholesterol. Soluble fibre absorbs water and swells and to become gel like substance which helps in the absorption of nutrients like B Vitamins and minerals like Magnesium and Zinc which are key to a good heart. Rolled Oats are rich in Beta Glucan, a soluble fibre which dissolves in the digestive track forming a thick gel which binds excess cholesterol within the gut and prevent it from being absorbed in the body.
2. Rich in Antioxidant : Rolled Oats have a antioxidant called Avenanthramide (a polyphenol from oats) which helps lower blood pressure levels through nitric oxide which widen the blood vessels resulting in better blood flow and lower blood pressure. Rolled Oats are healthier than Quick Cooking Oats.
3. High in Soluble Fiber : Barley and Rolled Oats are rich in Beta Glucan, a soluble fibre which dissolves in the digestive track forming a thick gel which binds excess cholesterol within the gut and prevent it from being absorbed in the body.
4. Weight Loss : Rolled Oats are rich in Beta Glucan, a soluble fibre which dissolves in the small intestine forming a thick gel like substance. This gel slows down the pace at which food moves through our digestive track and keeping you feeling full for a longer time. Even better, it allows more time for nutrient absorption. You will eat less and your body will get better nutrients.
5. Good for Diabetics : Since Oats is high in fibre since Oatmeal takes time to digest resulting in the slow release of blood sugar. Oatmeal is Oats with milk or even a more healthier option is Oats with Almond Milk. try this recipe
6. Rolled Oats are Gluten Free : Great for those who are intolerant to wheat.
7. Rich in Phosphorus
8. Good source of Vitamin B1, Thiamine
9. Good source of Magnesium
10. Good source of Zinc
11. Good source of Protein
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.