Chana Dal Barfi, Healthy Indian Sweet
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 5 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 25549 times
Soaked and ground chana dal flour, roasted patiently in ghee, is cooked into a delicious barfi with hot milk and minimum amount of ghee and sugar.
A dash of desi spices gives the Chana Dal Barfi a fabulous flavour that none can resist. Roasting the chana dal mixture well gives the barfi and awesome aroma, while using hot milk reduces the amount of ghee required.
With very low levels of sugar and ghee, this mithai is just the right choice to put a full-stop to your craving for sweets. It can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 1 or 2 days.
Also do try Fig and Cardamom Delight and Sevaiiyan .
- Clean, wash and soak the chana dal in hot water for 2 hours. Drain well.
- Blend in a mixer to a coarse mixture without adding any water. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the chana dal mixture, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 12 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the raisins, hot milk and 1 cup of hot water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 9 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the sugar, cardamom powder and saffron strands, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Pour the mixture immediately into a greased 175 mm. (7”) diameter thali and press it lightly.
- Sprinkle the almond slivers and press it lightly.
- Cut into 16 equal pieces using a sharp knife.
- Keep it aside for 1 hour.
- Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container in the fridge and use as required.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per piece
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.