How many calories does one Jowar Methi Roti have?
One Jowar Methi Roti gives 87 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 55 calories, proteins account for 10 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 22 calories. One Jowar Methi Roti provides about 4 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
Click here to view Jowar Methi Roti recipe | jowar methi paratha healthy breakfast | masala methi jowar roti | jowar methi roti for weight loss | with 17 amazing images.
jowar methi paratha is a satiating breakfast fare with only 87 calories per roti. Learn how to make jowar methi roti for weight loss.
The taste and nutrient value of jowar is seldom remembered, but after you try this recipe, it will stay in your memory forever! A perfect combination of jowar and methi, along with flavourful onions, coriander and green chillies, makes this sumptuous masala methi jowar roti a tasteful way to boost your haemoglobin levels.
To make jowar methi roti, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough warm water. Cover with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes. Divide the dough into 6 equal portions and roll out each portion into a 125 mm. (5") diameter circle using a little jowar flour for rolling. You may feel this rolling is a little difficult but with time and practice you will surely get it. Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook each roti, using ¼ tsp of oil, till it turns golden brown in colour from both the sides. Serve immediately.
Further fenugreek leaves are well known since ages for managing blood sugar levels. It has been combined with jowar flour, which has a medium glycemic index, but the high fibre content in jowar compensates the overall effect. Thus this jowar methi paratha healthy breakfast is a wise choice for diabetics.
Weight-watchers and heart patients too can benefit from the fibre content of jowar methi roti for weight loss. The addition of onion in this roti is also beneficial. The antioxidant quercetin in the onions promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. We recommend this healthy recipe to kids, senior citizens, pregnancy women and women with PCOS also.
Tips for jowar methi roti. 1. To make rolling easier, you can roll it between 2 sheets of plastic. 2. As a substitute to fenugreek leaves, you can try adding spinach leaves or cauliflower leaves.
Is Jowar Methi Roti healthy?
Yes, this is healthy. But restrictions apply to some.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Jowar Flour : Jowar is a complex carb and will be absorbed slowly in the blood stream and not cause a spike in insulin. Jowar and all Millets are rich in Potassium. Potassium is critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Hence a good safe food for diabetics but to be had in restricted quantity and safe for those who want to live and eat healthy. Being high in Fibre, Jowar reduces bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases the effects of good cholesterol (HDL). See 17 benefits of jowar and why you should have it.
2. Methi leaves (fenugreek leaves) : Methi leaves are low in calorie, powerful antioxidant and cures mouth ulcers. Fenugreek leaves help in improving glucose and insulin responses, hence good for diabetics. The levels of cholesterol also reduced with intakes of fenugreek leaves. Rich in Vitamin K which is good for bone metabolism. See all benefits of methi leaves here.
3. Onions (pyaz, kanda) : Raw onions are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. Yes, it’s a source of many antioxidants, the most important one amongst them being Quercetin. The quercetin which promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. This in turn would lower blood pressure and good for heart, diabetics. Read the benefits of onions.
4. Coriander (kothmir, dhania) : The antioxidants vitamin A, vitamin C and the quercetin present in coriander works towards strengthening our immune system. Coriander is a fairly good source of iron and folate – the 2 nutrient which help in the production and maintenance of red blood cells in our blood. Good for reducing cholesterol and good for diabetics. Read 9 benefits of coriander to understand details.
Green Chillies : Antioxidant vitamin C in green chillies protects the body from effects of harmful free radicals and prevents stress. It is probably the high fiber which helps in controlling blood sugar levels. This it is a welcome addition to a diabetic diet. Suffering from anaemia? Add green chillies to your list of iron rich foods too. For complete details see benefits of green chilli.
Sesame Seeds (Til) : These tiny white seeds are indeed a good source of protein. Half of daily requirement of calcium is fulfilled by consuming ½ cup of sesame seeds. Sesame seeds are a storehouse of iron, folic acid and help to prevent iron deficiency anaemia and boost your energy. The lignans, a type of polyphenol, present in seed does wonders to naturally reduce cholesterol levels. See detailed benefits of sesame seeds.
Note : 1 cup = 200 ml (standard cup available in the market). The weight in grams varies for each ingredient.
It can be confusing which Indian Rotis are healthy as there are so many options of flour to be used like plain floour, whole wheat flour, buckwheat flour, bajra flour and ragi flour. So which is the best.
Is Jowar Methi Roti good for Diabetics?
Yes. Jowar is a complex carb and will be absorbed slowly in the blood stream and not cause a spike in insulin. Hence a good safe food for diabetics and also for those who want to live and eat healthy.
Jowar is incredibly healthy and is way better than plain flour in making parathas and rotis. Each ingredient has its benefits. Having a Jowar Methi Roti will give you fibre and protein which is key to Vegetarians. Additional Jowar is rich in Iron, Magnesium which results in better calcium absorption leading to stronger bones.
Methi leaves are believed to be good in combating Daibetes and very good for blood formation from adolescent girls to pregnant mothers.
Is Jowar Methi Roti good for weight loss?
Yes, this recipe is good for weight loss. We have made this without oil in the dough and used a little in cooking. There is only 87 calories per Jowar Methi roti. We give it a thumbs up as a super healthy Indian Bread.
What is a healthy accompaniment to this roti?
We suggest you pair it with homemade curds using cows milk or low fat curds or a cucumber and pudina raita.
Basic Homemade Curd, Dahi Or Yogurt Using Cow's Milk
One Jowar Methi Roti is high in
1. Fiber : Dietary fiber reduce the risk of heart disease, prevent the spike in blood sugar levels and hence super for diabetics. Consume more fruits, vegetables, moong, oats, matki, whole grains.
2. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
3. Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
4. Magnesium : Magnesium is required for formation of bones and teeth. It helps in the metabolism of calcium and potassium.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 87 calories that come from one Jowar Methi Roti?
|Walking (6 kmph) =
|Running (11 kmph) =
|Cycling (30 kmph) =
|Swimming (2 kmph) =
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.