How many calories does one serving of Moong Dal and Spinach Soup have?
One serving of Moong Dal and Spinach Soup gives 120 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 82 calories, proteins account for 33 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 5 calories. One serving of Moong Dal and Spinach Soup provides about 6 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Moong Dal and Spinach Soup recipe. Good health in a bowlful, that is what this soup is! Moong Dal and Spinach Soup is a zero-oil recipe, brimful of protein, vitamin A and iron – all of which will make your eyes sharp and keen.
Moreover, the use of low-fat milk reduces the calorie content of this recipe, while retaining a good quota of calcium too.
Is Moong Dal and Spinach Soup healthy?
Yes, this is healthy. But restrictions apply to some.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Yellow Moong Dal : The fibre (4.1 g in ¼ cup) present in yellow moong dal prevents the deposition of bad cholesterol (LDL) in the arteries which promotes a healthy heart in turn. Packed with nutrients like zinc (1.4 mg), protein (12.2 mg) and iron (1.95 mg), yellow moong dal helps to maintain the elasticity of your skin and help to keep it moist. Fiber, potassium and magnesium from yellow moong dal will work together to regulate blood pressure and soothe the nerves and is diabetic friendly. See here for details of 7 amazing benefits of yellow moong dal.
2. Milk and Low Fat Milk : 1 cup of milk provides 70% of the Recommended Daily Allowance of Calcium. Milk promotes strong bones. The Calcium in Milk helps to protect your teeth against gum disease and keeps your jaw bone strong and healthy. Milk is low in carbs and therefore does not raise blood glucose levels. One cup of Milk gives 10 grams of carbs. Low fat milk has lower fat and the same benefits of milk.
3. Spinach (Palak) : Spinach is one of the richest plant sources of Iron and it should be part of a healthy diet for everyone. Raw spinach is very rich in insoluble fibre, 25% having soluble fiber and 75% insoluble fiber. Spinach is good for the heart, diabetics and eyes. Read this on the 17 benefits of spinach and why you should eat it.
What's the problem?
Cornflour : This is a refined flour which will push your blood sugar levels up.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Moong Dal and Spinach Soup ?
Yes, this works for diabetics as we have used low fat milk. Fiber, potassium and magnesium from yellow moong dal will work together to regulate blood pressure which is good for heart and weight loss.
Can healthy individuals have Moong Dal and Spinach Soup ?
Moong Dal and Spinach Soup is high in
1. Folic Acid : Folic acid is an essential vitamin required throughout pregnancy.
2. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
3. Vitamin A : Vitamin A is crucial for healthy vision, cell growth and healthy skin.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 120 calories that come from Moong Dal and Spinach Soup?
Walking (6 kmph) = 36 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 12 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 16 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 21 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.