How many calories does one serving of Apple and Walnut Kheer have?
One serving of Apple and Walnut Kheer gives 141 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 58 calories, proteins account for 22 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 61 calories. One serving of Apple and Walnut Kheer provides about 7 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Apple and Walnut Kheer recipe. Unpeeled apple that is rich in fibre and walnuts that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids strengthen the heart, so the apple and walnut kheer can be enjoyed as an occasional treat even by those with heart problems. The recipe is made healthier by using low-fat milk to reduce the calorie-scare! What is more, this nutritious kheer can be prepared within minutes in a very simple fashion, so it can be used by anybody as a quick and tasty dessert.
Is Apple and Walnut Kheer healthy?
Yes, this is healthy. But restrictions apply to some.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Apples : Being low in sodium, apples are effective against high blood pressure because of its diuretic effect. Don't peel the fruit to get maximum apple benefits. Two-thirds of the fibre and lots of antioxidants are found in the peel. Apple benefits diabetics as the soluble fibre assists in regulating blood sugar and is heart friendly. See detailed 9 health benefits of apple.
2. Walnuts (Akhrot) : Eating a handful of Walnuts a day is said to increase the good cholesterol (HDL). Walnuts are rich in Omega 3 Fatty Acids which contain high amounts of DHA which improve thinking power in adults and excellent for brain health for newborn kids. Being a good source of Folate, Vitamin B9, it’s good for pregnant women to top up their folic acid with eating a bit of walnuts daily. As it's low in the Glycemic Index, and loaded with Fibre, it’s a good choice for Diabetics. See detailed benefits of walnuts.
3.Milk and Low Fat Milk : 1 cup of milk provides 70% of the Recommended Daily Allowance of Calcium. Milk promotes strong bones. The Calcium in Milk helps to protect your teeth against gum disease and keeps your jaw bone strong and healthy. Milk is low in carbs and therefore does not raise blood glucose levels. However diabetics must consider including low fat milk as advised by their dietitian only so as to avoid any fluctuations in blood sugar levels. Protein is another key nutrient which milk is rich in - 8.6 g from a cup. So all those looking to build protein stores can add milk and its products like curd and paneer to their diet. One cup of Milk gives 10 grams of carbs. Low fat milk has lower fat and the same benefits of milk.
4. Oats : Oats are a great source of protein for Vegetarians. It is rich in soluble fibre (to make it good for diabetics), which helps lower blood LDL cholesterol, the so-called "Bad" cholesterol. Whole Oats have an antioxidant called Avenanthramide (a polyphenol from oats) which helps lower blood pressure levels. Soluble fibre absorbs water and swells and to become gel like substance which helps in the absorption of nutrients like B Vitamins and minerals like Magnesium and Zinc which are key to a good heart. See here why oats are good for you?
What's the problem?
1. Sugar : Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage. To live a healthy life, try and cut sugar which from your diet. It requires a slow and deliberate attempt to do it. Find hidden sugar in packaged foods and drinks and stop having those products. Did you know that a can of your favourite soft drink is estimated to have 1/2 cup of sugar. Refinded carbohydrates like maida, sugar, bread, pasta, noodles and sugar on consumption get stored as unhealthy fat in the body.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Apple and Walnut Kheer?
Yes, this recipe is good for diabetics, heart and weight loss BUT replace the sugar with dates. Dates have a low glycemic index from 43 to 55 depending on the variety, so they are a boon to diabetics to satisfy their sweet tooth. Apple benefits diabetics as the soluble fibre assists in regulating blood sugar and is heart friendly. Eating a handful of Walnuts a day is said to increase the good cholesterol (HDL). Walnuts are rich in Omega 3 Fatty Acids which contain high amounts of DHA which improve thinking power in adults and excellent for brain health for newborn kids.
Can healthy individuals have Apple and Walnut Kheer?
Apple and Walnut Kheer is high in
1. Calcium : Calcium is a mineral that makes bones stay strong. Required from kids to adults.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 141 calories that come from Apple and Walnut Kheer?
Walking (6 kmph) = 42mins
Running (11 kmph) = 14 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 19 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 24 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.