Bhakhri Pizza ( Gluten Free Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 28 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 74764 times
bhakhri pizza recipe | gluten free Indian pizza | healthy bhakri pizza on tava |
bhakri pizza is tongue tickling healthy Indian snack for gluten intolerant individuals. Learn how to make bhakri pizza on tava.
Iron-rich jowar and bajra flours replace gluten rich maida in this gluten-free recipe, which are then topped with a traditional tomato-based sauce. Let your kids help to assemble the bhakri pizzas to add to their enjoyment.
We suggest you make your own pizza sauce instead of buying ready made sauce to be assured that all ingredients used are safe for gluten intolerance. This flavourful sauce of bhakri pizza is not only easy to make also packed with herb flavours to suit any palate.
To make bhakhri pizza, first make the pizza sauce. Heat the oil, saute garlic and onions for 1 to 2 minutes followed by spring green for a few seconds. Add the blanched tomato and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add sugar and tomato ketchup and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the oregano, chilli flakes and salt, mix well and cook for 1 more minute. Then make bhakris. Combine bajra flour, jowar flour, oil and salt and knead into a firm dough using water. Divide the dough into 6 portions and roll into a 3-inch diameter circle by rolling in between your palms. Cook them on a hot tava until crisp on both sides while pressing with a muslin cloth of a khakhra press. Spread 2 tbsp of the pizza sauce and top with 1 tbsp of cheese evenly over it. Cover it with a lid and cook on a slow flame for 2 more minutes. Cool slightly and serve immediately.
bhakri pizza on tava, is suitable for weight-watchers, cancer survivors, heart patients, and even women with PCOS who are aiming to eat a healthy antioxidant rich diet as we substitute processed cheese with low fat paneer. For a healthier version, we suggest you avoid spreading the cheese and top it with blanched veggies like chopped broccoli and carrot which are perked up with salt and oregano or any herbs of your choice. Diabetics too can enjoy this cheese free pizza without sugar and tomato ketchup in the pizza sauce.
Tips for bhakhri pizza. 1. 3 large tomatoes after blanching will yield approx. ¾ cup blanched, peeled, deseeded and finely chopped tomatoes. 2. Knead into a firm dough so the bhakris turn out to be crisp after cooking. 3. You can make the pizza sauce and store it in the deep freezer for 2 to 3 months. Just before making the pizza, remove it and keep it at room temperature for about an hour, re-heat it and use it as per the recipe.
Enjoy bhakhri pizza recipe | gluten free Indian pizza | healthy bhakri pizza on tava | with step by step photos.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a firm dough using enough water.
- Cover with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for another 1 to 2 minutes or till they turn translucent.
- Add the spring onion greens, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for a few more seconds.
- Add the blanched tomatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the sugar and tomato ketchup, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the oregano, chilli flakes and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 more minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion between the palms of your hands into a 75 mm. (3") diameter circle.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook it on a slow flame till pink spots appear on both the sides.
- Continue cooking the bhakhri on a slow flame, while pressing with a khakhra press or folded muslin cloth till it turns crisp and golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- While on the tava (griddle), spread 2 tbsp of the pizza sauce and top with 1 tbsp of cheese evenly over it. Cover it with a lid and cook on a slow flame for 2 more minutes.
- Repeat steps 2 to 5 to make 5 more bhakhri pizzas.
- Cool slightly and serve immediately.
- 3 large tomatoes after blanching will yield approx. ¾ cup blanched, peeled, deseeded and finely chopped tomatoes.
Bhakhri Pizza (Gluten free Snack) Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per pizza
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.