Verki Puri, Crispy Jar Snack
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 26 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 21305 times
Verki Puri is a crispy, flaky jar snack with a touch of pepper and cumin, which will become everybody’s favourite!
Its unusual texture, which comes from the use of hot ghee in the dough, charms both young and old alike, while its mildly spicy taste makes it a wonderful accompaniment for tea.
This can be made in advance and enjoyed with your evening beverage, or can be carried to work or while travelling to relish whenever hungry.
You can also try other jar snack recipes like Phoolwadi or Methi Puri .
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Add enough water and knead into a semi-stiff dough like a puri dough
- Roll 5 portions of the dough, one by one, into a 200 mm. (8") diameter circle without using any flour for rolling.
- Place a rolled portion on a clean, dry surface, spread a little of the prepared paste evenly over it. While leaving a little space at the circumference.
- Place another rolled portion over it.
- Repeat step 4 and 5 to make 3 more layers.
- Roll it up tightly from one end to the other and cut into 14 equal portions using a sharp knife.
- Flatten each portion in between your palms and again lightly roll them into a 75 mm. (3”) diameter circle without using any flour for rolling. Make sure to seal the ends of each puri very well using your fingers, so that they do not open up while deep-frying.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and deep-fry 2 to 3 puris at a time on a medium slow flame till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Cool, store in an air-tight container and use as required.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per puri
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.