Ganthias, Gujarati Gathiya Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 166 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 56207 times
Tea-time becomes more than perfect when it features ganthias and jalebis . Ganthia is a crunchy and savoury snack that has been loved by generations of Gujaratis. It has gained its share of fame in other parts of India and the rest of the world too!
Carom seeds and asafoetida give the besan dough a flavourful and aromatic punch while papad khar ensures the ideal crispiness.
Papad Khar is an essential and vital ingredient in papad making, where it contributes to the crispness and expansion of fried papads. Dissolved in water and added to the Ganthia dough, it does its job here too.
Allow the Ganthias to cool completely before breaking them and storing them. Keep them in a dry, airtight container and enjoy with hot cups of tea and enticing sweets.
You can also try other Gujarati snacks like Masala Khakhra and Sev Murmura .
- Heat 2 tbsp of water in a saucepan and add the papad khar and salt. Mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute or till the papad khar dissolves completely. Keep aside.
- Combine the besan, asafoetida , carom seeds, hot oil and prepared papad khar mixture in a deep bowl and knead into a stiff dough without using water.
- Cover it with the lid and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Grease your hands using a little oil and knead the dough once again to smoothen it lightly. Keep aside.
- Grease a “sev press” (along with its lid and ganthia plate) using a little oil, press the dough into it and cover it with the lid.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, place the “sev press” above the hot oil (at a little distance) and turn the handle of the “sev press” so that half of the dough is forced out of the ganthia plate and drops directly into the oil.
- Move the “sev press” in a circular motion while turning the handle of the “sev press” in a circular motion at the same time.
- Deep-fry the ganthia on a medium flame, till they turn light yellow in colour and crisp while turning them at intervals. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Repeat step 6 and 7 to deep-fry the remaining ganthias in 2 more batches.
- Cool completely and break into pieces using your fingers.
- Serve or store in an air-tight container.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per cup
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.