Namak Para, Savoury Jar Snack
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 8 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 8408 times
This is a crispy jar snack that is very famous all over India.
Para is essentially a diamond-shaped, deep-fried snack made with a plain flour dough. There are both sweet and savoury versions of para.
This recipe introduces you to the savoury version, seasoned with salt and flavoured pleasantly with ajwain. Cool the Namak Para completely after deep-frying, and store it in an airtight jar.
Relish it with a cup of hot masala chaai , and lose yourself in the simple yet satisfying experience – after all, it is little joys like this that make life a delightful ride!
You can also try other jar snacks like Aloo Bhujia or Bajra Vadi .
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Knead into a semi-stiff dough using enough water.
- Cover with a lid and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion of the dough into a 225 mm. (9") diameter circle without using any flour for rolling. Prick the surface with a fork at regular intervals.
- Cut into 25 mm. (1") diamond shaped pieces using a sharp knife.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and deep-fry a few namak paras at a time on a slow medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Repeat steps 5 to 7 to make more namak paras.
- Cool completely and store in an air-tight container. Use as required.
Nutrient values per cup
|Vitamin A||450.2 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||0 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.