Vatana ni Kachori, Matar Kachori, Green Peas Kachori
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 21 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 7012 times
Making perfect kachoris is an art, and nothing short of it. The ideal cover, which is crisp and flaky but not too oily, and a soft filling, which is neither dry nor soggy, are all essential elements of the perfect kachori. Here, we present a recipe that is quite easy to follow and guaranteed to give you lovely Green Peas Kachoris if you follow the instructions well.
The kachoris hold a delightful, tongue-tickling filling of crushed green peas perked up with ginger, green chillies and spices. You will thoroughly enjoy every aspect of this Vatana ni Kachori, right from the texture to the taste. Completely worth the effort!
Check out for a wide variety of Gujarati Farsans that are eaten as snacks and also served as a side dish with the main meal in a typical Gujarati thali.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead into a semi soft dough using enough water. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add the green peas mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes ,while stirring continuously.
- Add the lemon juice, green chilli paste, ginger paste, garam masala, coriander and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes ,while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Divide the stuffing into 16 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 16 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion of the dough into a 75 mm. (3”) diameter thin circle using a little plain flour for rolling.
- Put a portion of the stuffing in the centre.
- Bring the sides together in the centre and seal the edges on top.
- Repeat steps 3 to 5 to make 15 more kachoris.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and deep-fry a few kachoris at a time on a slow flame till they turn crisp and golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.