Upma Dosa, South Indian Rava Upma Dosa
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 6 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 5669 times
A sumptuous feast of upma-lined dosas, which is almost like having two dishes at one go! Ideal to have for breakfast, or as an evening supper, the Upma Dosa features golden-brown dosas stuffed with mouth-wateringly tasty rava upma.
The upma has the exciting aroma of a traditional tempering and the moderate spiciness of green chillies.
You must make the upma just before making these dosas because it should be soft and gooey for you to spread it on the dosa. Once the upma cools, it will become thick and you will find it difficult to spread it.
Also, take care to spread the upma lightly on the dosa, otherwise it will clump up. You can also try other interesting dosa reciples like the Nachni Dosa and the Palak Cheese Dosa .
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds and urad dal and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and green chilli paste and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the rava and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Add the coriander and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), sprinkle a little water and wipe it off gently using a cloth.
- Pour a ladleful of the dosa batter on it and spread it in a circular motion to make a 175 mm. (7”) diameter circle.
- Smear 1 tsp of butter over it and along the edges and cook on medium flame till the dosa turns light brown in colour.
- Spread 1/4 th of the prepared upma and spread it evenly very lightly using a wet spoon and cook it on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Fold the dosa into a semi-circle.
- Repeat steps 6 to 10 to make 3 more upma dosas.
- Serve immediately with sambhar and coconut chutney.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per dosa
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.