Sweet Lemon Pickle, Nimboo ka Achar, No Oil Lemon Pickle
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 87 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 332905 times
A brilliant pickle that causes a burst of sweet and tangy flavours on your palate, the Nimboo ka Achaar is an all-time favourite, with fans spanning across generations! The preparation of this No Oil Lemon Pickle needs a bit of tact, but is not difficult if you follow these instructions properly. It is important to toss the lemons every day during the seven-day maturing period to avoid fungal growth. During this period, you must also take care to store the Sweet Lemon Pickle in a cool place away from heat, but not in the fridge.
Later, when cooking the lemon-salt mixture with sugar, it is very important to follow the exact method paying special attention to the flame level and cooking time. A timer will be handy! Once done, this pickle stays good for almost an year when stored in dry airtight containers. The colour of the pickle might change over time, but not to worry, the pickle will taste as fabulous as ever.
Ideal to serve with Indian breads like Parathas , Rotis , Puris , Naan and Kulchas .
- Wash the lemons and wipe them dry using a dry cloth.
- Cut each lemon into quarters.
- Transfer into a clean, dry glass or steel bowl, add the rock salt toss it well, cover with a lid and keep aside for 7 days. Make sure you toss it very well every day without using your hands or spoon.
- Transfer the lemon-salt mixture after maturing in a deep non-stick pan, add the sugar, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 22 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Cool the mixture completely in the same deep non-stick pan.
- Once cooled, store in an air-tight glass container and use as required.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||0 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin C||21.9 mg|
|Folic Acid||0 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.