Shahi Puran Poli, Indian Sweet Roti
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 52 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 27252 times
While the normal puran poli is made with a stuffing of sweetened coconut, the Shahi Puran Poli is a much grander version, made with sweetened and spice-tinged mawa inside.
The polis made of whole wheat flour become very soft when cooked with a stuffing of mawa, which lends its rich milky taste and succulent texture to the poli. Some amount of semolina is used in the stuffing to give volume and firmness to it.
You will thoroughly enjoy the rich, traditional taste of this Indian mithai, which is ideal to serve on any special occasion .
- Combine the whole wheat flour and oil in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water. Cover and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the semolina and sauté on a slow flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the khoya and sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the cardamom powder and mix well.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside to cool.
- Divide the filling into 4 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion of the dough into a 75 mm. (3") diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Place a little stuffing in the centre of the circle. Bring together all the sides in the centre and seal tightly.
- Roll again into a circle of 150 mm. (6”) diameter circle with a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook it using 1 tsp of ghee until golden brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Repeat steps 3 to 6 to make 3 more puran polis.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per puranpoli
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.