Puri Bhaji, Poori Bhaji, Aloo Puri Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 30 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 21331 times
An age-old combo with a timeless charm, Puri Bhaji makes a perfect breakfast! It is prepared in almost all regions of India, with just mild variations.
Fluffy and golden brown whole wheat flour puris are served with a bhaji of potatoes perked up with everyday ingredients like onions, green chillies and lemon juice.
It is ideal for breakfast because it is easy and quick to make. Nevertheless, the homely flavour and comfortable mouth-feel of this dish are really awesome, and unfailingly remind one of their mother’s love! Serve the puris fresh with hot aloo bhaji.
Laccha Onions and pickle make a fitting accompaniment to Puri Bhaji.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan or kadhai, add the mustard seeds and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder and potatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while mashing it lightly with a back of the spoon.
- Add the green chilli paste, lemon juice, coriander and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Combine the whole wheat flour, 2 tbsp of oil and salt all and knead into a stiff dough using enough water.
- Knead again with the remaining ½ tbsp of oil and cover and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and roll out each portion into a 75 mm. (3") diameter round.
- Heat the oil in a deep kadhai and deep-fry the puris a few at a time till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve the aloo bhaji hot with puris.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.