Mulligatawny Soup, Mulligatawany Soup
by Tarla Dalal
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Mulligatawny Soup, Mulligatawany Soup in Hindi)
- ગુજરાતી માં વાંચો (Mulligatawny Soup, Mulligatawany Soup in Gujarati)
Added to 77 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 79791 times
A spicy soup with an unmistakeable Indian feel to it, it is said that this used to be a hot favourite amongst the British officers when they were in India.
Mulligatawny Soup features a large set of ingredients including coconut milk, onions, carrots, tomatoes, rice and dal, spiced with an elaborate masala and hints of ginger, garlic and lemon juice. You can have it as a filling brunch or supper!
- Combine all the ingredients in a broad non-stick pan and dry roast on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Allow it to cool slightly and blend in a mixer to a smooth powder. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker, add the onions, carrots, ginger and garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the masoor dal, tomatoes, masala powder, turmeric powder and 3¼ cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Blend the soup in a mixer to a smooth purée and strain it using a strainer.
- Transfer the purée to a deep non-stick pan, add the coconut milk, rice, lemon juice and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||447.7 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.3 mg|
|Vitamin C||10.7 mg|
|Folic Acid||24.5 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.