Mixed Vegetable Frankie, Low Salt Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 3608 times
Frankie is an all-time favourite street food of Mumbai, and is much-loved by Indians across the world. Now, it is common to see Frankie counters on the streets of other Indian cities and towns too!
Stuffed with a chatpata mix of veggies and spices, the Frankie not only pleases the palate but is also quite filling. Here, we have made a healthier, low-salt version of this popular snack, which can be enjoyed occasionally by those with high blood pressure too.
This recipe replaces maida with wheat flour and does away with cheese. The Mixed Vegetable Frankie does not use too much fat for cooking either, and is jam-packed with veggies.
It is important to serve this nutritious snack immediately to enjoy the burst of flavours and the best of textures.
You can also occasionally treat yourself to other dishes like the Cabbage Paneer Koftas in Makhani Gravy and Nourishing Khichdi .
- Add the whole wheat flour in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions.
- Roll out each portion into a 150 mm. (7”) diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook each roti, till golden brown spots appear on both the sides. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the garlic paste, ginger paste, turmeric, coriander, chilli powder and 1 tbsp of water and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the carrot, broccoli, salt and 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the green peas, potatoes and mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring it occasionally. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions.
- Roll out each portion of the mixture into a 125 mm. (5”) cylindrical roll and flatten it between your palms.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a non-stick tava (griddle), and place all the rolls on the tava (griddle) and cook on a medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Place a roti on a clean, dry surface, put ½ tsp of the prepared masala water and spread it evenly.
- Place a prepared mixed vegetable roll on one side of the roti.
- Fold the two opposite ends of the roti over the roll.
- Start rolling the roti from one open end and over the 2 folded sides.
- Roll the entire roti tightly.
- Repeat steps 1 to 5 to make 3 more frankies.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per frankie
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.